Sunday, June 14, 2009

Percy, Mary and Lord Gordon







as a youth, i got my take on historical artists through old 30's and 40's movies.......It was not until I was in college that I perceived them in any more realistic manner.......costumed Lady Caroline Lambs and Lord Byrons, Percy Shellys, Liszts......even Henri Gautier-Brezka......were introduced to me through the semi-biographical fictions depicted in old movies........In the 1970's my take on 19th century artists was through the eyes of Ken Russell's excesses..........My favorite writers, poets and composers seem to have arisen in the first 20 years of each century, when radical changes were taking place.........that time is again just ahead.....what is in store? Historical figures were the characters in Movies....Now, the Movie Stars are the characters whom the real characters once were..... What does it matter since Art reflects Life reflecting Art........It doesn't.....except to historical scholars, that is!












Mozart in the Age of Enlightenment by Seth Carlin

No comments: