Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Chiwetel Ejiofor




Of the seemingly countless number of drag queens that audiences seem to be universally accepting of, Chiwetel Ejiofor is my personal favorite.. of the set which has included both Philip Seymour Hoffman and Dustin Hoffman, Guy Pierce, William Hurt, John Lone, Terence Stamp, Alec Guiness, Patrick Swayze, Tim Curry, Cary Grant....the list goes into the hundreds!......even teen movies have at least a few dozen examples......Dr. Frankenfurter, Hedwig and Tootsie...even Charles Peirce (a real drag queen) have even become iconic...Cross-dressing seems to be far more popular than the general public would ever like to admit......many heterosexual men are really attracted to women who look like drag queens, have silicon body parts, bleached and/or dyed hair and who exaggerate the 'fairer' sex's looks and ways.......On the other hand, many of these same people feel uncomfortable around these daringly explicit and other-worldly beings......I think every man should, at least once in his life, don an outfit that suits him and check out the "woman" in him........When I was 24, I was invited to a soire' at Clayton Spears', who was..at the time.....the manager of Atlanta's TIFFANY & CO store......he asked me to be outrageous because he wished to stage a theatrical event, at his home, to entertain his jaded clients.....so...I borrowed an Oscar De La Renta outfit from the Sak's 5th Avenue Designer Salon, then managed by my friend Ralphe Baker, had George Hererra of the Sak's Hair Salon and my friend Sonya Nickel create this femme persona from the neck up; and arm in arm with the most beautiful, sophisticated and intelligent man that I could convince to be my "date"....Rick O. Flynn, who dressed as a very young Mehr Baba, who had been something of a young dandy himself, I headed to the Plaza Towers, in size 12 heels.......making a very theatrical appearance.....Even though i was totally upstaged by my old acquaintance, Rachel Wells, who appeared, practically naked, oiled and glitter-covered...with a giant boa constrictor wrapped about his shoulders..and accompanied by two handsome oiled, Ethiopian Adonises. I have never felt the need to go to so much bother to create an "effect"......but I laud those who can and do......even Beyonce' has to haul ass to look like that! By the way....I went "as" Tallulah Bankhead, who...ironically enough... is from the same home town as both John (Rachel) Wells and myself.........





No comments: