Monday, February 7, 2022

On finding a photo of "Antonius" in a box, beneath a VHS copy of INTACTO .......

 



Sic Transit ...........The first 'serious' actor that I remember, as Antonius Block in The 7th Seal, when I was too young to 'get it' but old enough to know I 'wanted to "get it"'........I've seen all of his films..to 2010....and even watched one that was in Swedish, with German subtitles.....His face told his tale...... INTACTO may be my favorite, however......although I know not a soul that has seen it, other than me........The first week of 'University', in Nashville, oddly enough, I had made friends with 4 other students....film buffs, of course.....; we went to the VUT screening of THROUGH A GLASS DARKLY, double-billed with Polanski's KNIFE IN THE WATER.......Over late night burgers and fries, we had our first 'serious' discussion about 'Art Films'......The very next day.....a Saturday....some students in my dorm....Vanderbilt Hall....known for its anti-intellectual jocks......were getting a group of 'guys' to see BLOOD FEAST.......thinking I shouldn't be such a 'nerd', I headed to Blood Feast, but seeing its Poster, framed by the ticket window.....I was overcome with "ART FILM ADDICTION".....already....and took a bus, down West End Avenue, to see THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER,,,, Who wouldn't want to see Tony Curtis and Burt Lancaster in 'Drag'? The next week, my best friend, Bert Bottorff, whom I'd known for a full month or two, snagged me from a Rand Hall dinner symposium on Alexander Pope and the entire group of 'would-be poets' journeyed, again, to the VUT ....for THE MAGICIAN and VIRGIN SPRING.....Still 18, I was certain that I 'had arrived' in Adulthood......and Max had 'brought me out', for certain!


Ingmar’s Actors: Max von Sydow - YouTube

No comments: