Saturday, August 8, 2009

SINGING IN THE RAIN

Still my very favorite musical........i studied tap dancing for a few years, and got a bit past "shuffle, ball, change", but was never a Billy Elliot, and definitely not a Gene! While my friends had "boy crushes" on Tim Considine and Annette, my eyes were on Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds......None of my friends were particularly interested in SINGING IN THE RAIN, but I saw it twice, alone in the first row of the balcony of the Lyric Theatre while my contemporaries were at the Grand Theater, viewing EARTH VS THE FLYING SAUCERS or THEM. It represented, for me, a world far more colorful and optimistic than the rather drab b/w world around me........I dreamed in technicolor and Vistavision (or, in this example, Cinemascope)! Why couldn't Life imitate Art?



THE NEXT STOP.......INVITATION TO THE DANCE



THEN, ONE THING LEADS TO ANOTHER........

1 comment:

vaporcloud said...

After the second sequence ("Ring Around the Rosy") was shot, Kelly decided against using the original score by Malcolm Arnold. He hired Andre Previn to rescore the piece, but since it was already filmed, Previn had to compose his music to the already choreographed sequence, making his music fit the dancing.
Rather amazing for 1953, when the film was originally made....in France, incidentally....to avoid taxation (and lack of interest) in the U.S. r.