Thursday, February 5, 2009

NOT SO HIGHBROWWWWWwww



My first exposure to opera was via old Jeanette MacDonald films on afternoon television......even now I prefer operatic films to live opera performances..
My stepfather, Tom, took me to my first live opera......"The Ballad of Billie Doe"...a real "American" opera......I loved "Carmen Jones" and "Porgy and Bess" of course.....in cinema format, however........Then, in my 20's I attended a "Ring Cycle" at the Met.......I'd rather have sat through a 12-hour Kabuki Theatre performance....which I later did...in London, when the Imperial Kabuki Theater first performed outside Japan.....Then, there was Gilbert and Sullivan...which I found to be so much fun.......but.......NOT SO HIGHBROWWWWWWwwww......today, I'd rather be shot than sit through a Philip Glass Opera.....Pleezzze!

No comments: